Most people eventually need to have their wisdom teeth removed. In fact, typically the longer a person waits to have them removed the more significant are the problems they experience because of them. Utah Oral Surgeons specialize in wisdom tooth removal in Provo, Orem, Pleasant Grove, American Fork, Lindon other Utah County communities and Price, Utah. Whether it is wisdom tooth removal for LDS missionaries or high school or college students or if you have waited well past your teens and twenties, the sooner you have your wisdom teeth extracted, the better.
Many people who use a dentist to extract their wisdom teeth can experience additional pain, discomfort and oral health issues related to complexities that dentists are not experienced or trained to deal with. When you have Doctors Crawford and McBee at Utah Oral Surgeons extract your wisdom teeth you can rest assured knowing the most experienced oral surgeons and the most caring surgical staff in Utah are taking exceptional care of you.
Problems Associated with Wisdom Teeth
Wisdom teeth are removed to either eliminate a current oral health problem or to prevent an inevitable one such as:
- Crowding of the teeth which can result in damage to tooth structure and eventually disease and the loss of essential molars or other teeth.
- Wisdom teeth becoming impacted or stuck in the jaw bone and not breaking through the gum surface. In some cases the tooth continues to grow within the jaw which creates additional structural problems.
- Swollen and painful gums surrounding a wisdom tooth which has only partially broken the gum surface. This can create uneven spots and gaps in the gum which are susceptible to infection.
- Gum disease and tooth decay in the wisdom tooth due to it being less accessible to brushing and other cleaning. It can also contribute to disease and decay in adjoining teeth.
Wisdom Tooth Extraction Procedures
Most wisdom teeth are removed in one of our three Utah Oral Surgery offices in Provo, American Fork / Pleasant Grove or Price, Utah.
- The surgeon will have an entire set of x-rays which will guide the procedure and variations required for each individual tooth.
- The surgeon will ensure you have no infections before starting the surgery.
- You will be given a local anesthetic to reduce any oral pain along with a general anesthetic which will allow you sleep throughout the procedure.
- To prepare for the anesthetic you should not eat or drink from midnight before the procedure.
- The surgery can include opening the gum, removing any bone covering the tooth and sometimes splitting the tooth for easier extraction.
- You may need stitches to seal the gum. These are typically a type that dissolve naturally over time. The surgeon will inform you specifically of what to expect and how to ensure proper healing.
Utah Wisdom Tooth Removal
Utah Oral Surgeons is uniquely qualified to remove your wisdom teeth and ensure the procedure is done right. We accept most insurance and keep our wisdom teeth extractions affordable. Please contact Utah Oral Surgeons to schedule an appointment.
We provide wisdom tooth removal in Provo and Orem and central Utah County along with wisdom tooth removal in American Fork, Pleasant Grove and northern Utah County. We also provide wisdom tooth removal in Price and Carbon County, Utah.